ASIC has announced a four month transition period for AFS licensing for emissions units from 1 July to 31 October 2012. Registration is an interim step before obtaining an ASF licence or a variation to an existing AFS licence.
Financial services compliance obligations start 1 July 2012. You need to have compliance policies and procedures in place and your staff prepared.
You must be registered by 30 June to provide financial services in emissions units from 1 July 2012.
You must have your AFS licence application submitted before 31 October 2012 and granted by 31 December 2012 to provide financial services from 1 January 2013.
Preparing an AFS licence takes time. Typically, it takes at least 3-6 months to prepare an application. It is time to start that process now.
- 1 May 2012: Registration application period commences for AFS licence for advising, dealing, making a market and providing a custodial or depository service
- 30 June 2012: Registration application period closes
- 1 July 2012: Your compliance obligation starts today. Emissions units are financial products from today and ASIC is accepting AFS licence application from today
- 31 October 2012: Last day to submit AFS licence application if you have registered before 30 June and intend to offer financial services in emissions units after 31 December 2012
- 31 December 2012: Last day to obtain AFS licence before transition period ends.
How Certainty can help
Certainty Compliance can assist with your registration application and AFS licence application. We can assist you in understanding all your regulatory obligations, and ensure you have systems, policies and procedures in place to comply with them.
Certainty will be conducting the following workshops in each capital city:
- Certainty Compliance Emissions Trading Program: AFS compliance obligations during transition period
- Certainty Compliance Responsible Manager Program: AFS licensing for Emissions Trading
Register your interest
To learn more about our services or to attend one of our workshops:
Alternatively email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (02) 8324 5300.
For further information:
See the full ASIC media release here: 12-82MR ASIC releases details for registration and licensing of financial services in emissions units